1. Back to School- Monday was the first day back at school in 2015 and it was great to see the kids again and catch up on the last three weeks. We had a new student join us and t was wonderful to see the students welcome him so easily.
2. Reading- We shared our favorite books read over break and the students were thrilled to see all of the new books I brought for them. It is fun to see awesome books being passed from reader to reader.
3. Read alouds- We have started a poetry unit, so I am reading Sharon Creech’s Love That Dog and the third graders are loving it. We have also started The One and Only Ivan and there is never enough time to read as much as we would like. Both books have such short chapters, which makes it easy to slip in a bit whenever we have a minute or two.
4. One Little Word- On Monday I introduced my students to the idea of choosing “One Little Word” to help them achieve their goals for 2015. We brainstormed together and then each went off to think about their own. When they were ready they created a sign for their word as a visual reminder. Then I took a picture of each student holding their word. After printing these out each student write about how their word will help them this year.
5. Planning ahead- I have registered my class for Global School Play Day (http://globalschoolplayday.com/) coming February 4th, signed up for Quad Blogging, started looking for partners for World Read Aloud Day ( http://www.litworld.org/wrad), started brainstorming for (International Book Giving Day) http://bookgivingday.com/ Lots more connected learning in the next few months!
All in all, 2015 is off to a great start! Here’s to a great second semester!