March 14, 2015 SOLC14/31
10 Cities I Have Lived in and Something I Have Loved About Each One
Yesterday’s slices for many were lists and I was inspired to create one of my own. I have moved a fair bit in my life and I really have loved each place, so here (not in chronological order, because I have lived in a few places more than once) are ten of the cities I have lived in and some highlights of each.
1. Newton, MA- we lived here when I was 3-6 and again from age 12-22. I loved that Newton was fairly diverse and had something for everyone. I loved that as a teenager it gave me easy access via public transportation to Boston and Cambridge. I have so many fond memories of people and places here.
2. Amherst, MA- This is where I went to university and it was such a great time in my life. I loved the big school feel, but the small town of Amherst. I loved that this part of Massachusetts was arty and an interesting combination of the many different “groups” there. I loved that it felt really far away from “home”.
3. Hull, England- I loved being in this city for my junior year of university. I loved the down-to-earthiness of the people and the opportunity I had to teach there (even though I was scared witless at the start- middle school math and science was not what I considered my areas of expertise). This was really a year of growth.
4. Columbia, MD- I moved here right after university to teach and found it a great place to live then for the proximity to both DC and Baltimore, but also for the convenience of having everything nearby within Columbia. Later when I returned with children I appreciated the school system even more along with the great outdoor spaces. I loved the diversity here too.
5. Amsterdam, The Netherlands- I LOVED the art here and the ease of being here with a baby stroller. We spent a lot of time walking in parks and museums.
6. Hong Kong- Of course I loved the food here. I also loved the freneticness (for awhile) and had fun at markets, even though I am not a shopper.
7. Warsaw, Poland- Initially I did not want to move there and personally it was a rough time family wise, but I loved the feel of being in a city on the rise. The people I met were kind and the expat community at the school was special.
8. Mumbai, India- I loved the color and surprise here. I only was here for a year and know I only scratched the surface. I love the smell of block printed fabrics from India because they can still transport me there. Again, I loved the school.
9. Berlin, Germany- I loved it’s originality and the variety there. I never found it particularly beautiful, although parts were. I loved that I got to live here twice. It was great to be a part of a school community where I felt I could teach the way I believed was best.
10. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia- my current home. I love that I am getting to see new places with new friends (but I sure am missing old friends!). It feels like a brand new start, as I have moved here all alone. I love wondering what memories I will take away from here.